Friday, September 4, 2015

20150904.0613

The Mrs., Ms. 8, and I will be heading to one of the next states east this weekend, where we will spend some time with my father-in-law. It is something we have long since arranged, although the specifics changed not long ago when we received word that his heart trouble was acting up again. Thus, instead of being out at a lake, we will be out at his house for a much more sedate time. Whether or not I will be able to post here is unclear to me, but if I do not, it is not because I am dead. Worry not. (And for those who might wish me dead...you have not succeeded yet. You really should stop trying.) At the latest, I should be writing again by Tuesday.

My family and I are not the only ones taking a trip over the weekend. I have already received word from several students that they will be out. In itself, there is nothing wrong with that. When the messages come with the "Will I miss anything important?" question, however, I find myself annoyed. (The answer, by the way, is "yes." There have been classes I have taught in which I have given quiz and test answers out on days with low attendance. There have been many more in which I have awarded bonus grades on days with low attendance.) The question necessarily carries with it the idea that what I do is unimportant, and it is not to be expected that I or anyone react well to being told that the tasks done as part of a calling--and scholarship is a calling, whether teaching or researching--and thus the calling itself are unimportant. While I am aware that the students are not aware of the overtone, I remain vexed by it; unintentional injury is still injury. And I do not excuse such absences (or any not incurred by legal obligations such as court appearance or military service).

I cannot say I do not appreciate getting to take the time away, at least in some ways. (I am sure thoughts of "you should be working" will follow me; they always do.) Yesterday saw me push through the write-up I noted. I ran somewhat over word-count (in part because the counter registers HTML tags as separate words for some damned fool reason), but even had I not, nearly 6,000 words is a fair bit to get onto the page in a day--particularly around caring for a child and doing some few things around the house. Yesterday was not the only such day, either; I am usually thusly occupied, even if I cannot ever seem to get done all of what I need to get done. A day or two away may well do me good; I already intend to sleep in tomorrow, so long as Ms. 8 will allow it. (She is better than any alarm clock. I will be returning the favor in the years to come.) It should help.

No comments:

Post a Comment