Monday, July 1, 2013

20130701.0634

Today is my beloved wife's birthday.  Which birthday it is, I leave to those who already know to know.

This is far from the first of her birthdays that I have seen, although I admit that I have not often commented on that fact in this kind of forum; I can find only one such, and that does not come from this particular blogroll.  But that does not mean that I have not been with her on her birthday before--since 2006, in fact.  Each time, I have worked to show her quite the time, and this year will be no different.

(She already knows what will happen.  There are no spoilers here.)

The first time I helped my wife celebrate her birthday was well before she was my wife--or even my fiancée.  At the time, we were very good friends, but we were not romantically involved as is typically thought of.  The birthday dinner was a large affair, with a number of people from graduate school still hanging about; we were still both in our master's program, then, still sitting in the cubicles across from one another that had seen us work on Beowulf.  It was at an Italian place in Lafayette, Louisiana, that I am not sure is still in business at this point (last time I was in that part of the world was more than a year ago, and that was only for a few busy days), and I do not recall the details of the meal.

I do remember, however, that a good time was had by all.  It set a precedent that I hope to continue for many years to come, one of making the woman I love very happy on her birthday--and as many other days as I can arrange.

1 comment:

  1. I remember that dinner. I was lucky to have been a part of it with you both. Tell her happy birthday for me, and I love and miss you both dearly. I hope that we can get together the next time you are in this part of the world. Give her a hug for me. -Dawn

    ReplyDelete