Wednesday, August 20, 2014

20140820.0652

I noted in passing yesterday, and in another place, that yesterday afternoon marked half a year of Ms. 8 being in the waking world. Six months ago today was the announcement of it in this webspace. It is true, as I noted expecting the next day, that the novelty of diaper changing has worn off. (Oh, how it has worn off!) It is also true, as I noted not much later, that there have been...adjustments made against the presence of the baby. Responsibility for the young life of little Ms. 8 still commands notice as it sits on my wife's shoulders and mine; it is not a light burden, and it is not one that can be set aside for a moment. Indeed, it heightens a number of other concerns; money was an issue before her, and it is very much an issue now. (Donations are, unfortunately, not tax deductible.) The balance of working time and the necessary and appropriate care of an infant is both finer and more nuanced. Even after six months, acclimation to the changes is incomplete--and I think it will not be for a long time, yet, if ever.

Still, despite the fetid stink that comes from my daughter's nethers at times, and despite the ear-piercing wailing she has mastered, I love her and fiercely. Seeing her grow (admittedly more in heft than in height--but she was born a long baby--and yet more in mind) has been a source of amazement. Watching her go from more or less wholly inert to flailing about to grabbing things and flipping herself over has been strangely gratifying (it is not as if I made it happen), and seeing her toothless smile light up whenever she sees me does more than flatter. I know that she will soon start to say such things as "No" and "I hate you," and I know that worse will come out of her mouth. (If she is anything like her father, much worse will come out of her mouth.) I know that other problems will arise; they inevitably do. But I also know that there will be other benefits come from it--and I know I sound the typical everyparent to say it, threatening to rattle off platitudes at which my child-free friends cringe.

I will not do so here. I try not to be "that guy" who can do nothing but talk about his kid; I know how annoying that can be to those who have or want no kids of their own. But I am happy to have my little girl, and if I do write about her every so often here, I do not think I can be held much to blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment