Friday, November 29, 2013

20131129.0832

Neither knowledge nor understanding
Is a one-time thing.
Both must be courted
Continuously.

Neither knowledge nor understanding
Is a particularly shy beloved.
Both respond willingly
To diligent pursuit.

Neither knowledge nor understanding
Is a thing free with favors.
Both require demonstrations
Of passionate ardor.

I have pursued both for long,
Given much of my life
Built my identity
Focused my being
On consummation with them.
I know that I am not their first.
I know that I am not their only.
I know that even now, I share them with others,
And they with me.

I do not think that any of us use protection.
The sensation is too good to suffer such interference.
(Although it occurs to me that
Decorum insists
That such activities be done in private;
The ivory tower isolation
Makes more sense now.)

Is it any wonder
That the love of knowledge and of understanding
Leaves so many children behind,
Perhaps more fair than Bradstreet's ill-formed offspring,
Perhaps not,
But still the fruits
Of labor like that of loins
Though situated higher in the body?

We are all of us
Pumping away
Grinding away
Milking for all the worth that can be found
In an orgiastic frenzy
All in our heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment