Thursday, January 9, 2014

20140109.0658

Four years ago today, the second-best thing* that has yet happened in my life happened: I got married to my beautiful, cheerful, intelligent, kind-hearted, graceful, wonderful, wise wife.  I have not always marked my anniversary in this space--indeed, I have done so only once, and that briefly--and the day has not always been filled with the most joy and happiness.  Last year's anniversary got swallowed up by other concerns.  The year before, we spent more or less quietly (and I am hardly displeased about it), and, Lord willing, this year will be another spent more or less quietly.  Both of us have to work (such is life), but after work is done, the evening is ours to enjoy; as we are an increasingly old married couple (and because we have to work tomorrow), that enjoyment will likely be quite sedate, which suits us just fine.

Marriage has been remarkably good to me.  Had I not met the woman who is now my wife, or had I met her but not allowed myself to fall in love and begin a relationship with her, I may well have finished my course of study more quickly than I did, although I would not have written my dissertation on the topic I did because I would not have had access to the resources I had.  I would probably be living alone, trying to cobble together some semblance of a living from two or three different jobs and enjoying what little free time I had even less than I give evidence of enjoying things now (I am aware of the tone of much of my writing here).  And I would be failing, probably soon to return to my parents' home in defeat.  Or I would have taken a job teaching in the Texas public school system (because I did have certification to teach until November 2010), and I would at this point be contemplating...other things entirely.  (I have addressed the way teachers are thanked.)

Fortunately, because I met the most excellent person who is my wife, I had reason to move from Hub City to The City, to live in the Best of the Boroughs, to study as I have studied (both in the liberal arts and the martial), to have met people who have enriched my life, to have found faith again, to have traveled abroad, to have fought in the trenches of a particularly dismal front in higher education, and to now be in a position from which I have some chance of making a good life for myself and my family.  Because I met her, I have the family I have, a family that makes being a family man worth being and one into which I am not afraid to bring new lives in the next months and, perhaps, the years to follow.

Thank you, beloved Sonya, for four surpassingly good years.  I look forward to ten times as many more with you, and I love you very, very much.

*I think I am justified in putting learning of my forthcoming child ahead of the wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment