Wednesday, October 7, 2015

20151007.0649

I get carried away with reading things at times. I have for as long as I can remember. That I have long done so did much to inform my decision to study English at the undergraduate level, and the events of that experience led me to study it at the graduate level. My finances do not thank me for doing so, to be sure, but most of the rest of my life does. It was in graduate school, after all, that I met my wife, and I count having done so as one of the best things in my life. (And it's not even our anniversary--or close to it!) And I doubt that I would be able to do the work I do without the training I received; since I enjoy much of the work as it continues, I would miss out on some pleasure, had I not what I have.

Work does continue, of course. I got a freelance order in this morning, for which I have already bought the book; I have a few things to do that I ought to have done yesterday, after which, I will do the reading and begin the write-up. Among them is work on a particularly interesting job application, not the kind I can crank out in the morning before I head to work--especially not when I have distracted myself with reading before settling in to warm up my writing and thinking. Among them also should be some work on my book chapter, as well as a few other things. Many are the balls I have in the air, and less than skilled at juggling am I--but still, I will make things happen as they ought.

The Mrs. and Ms. 8 are both well. The former has been working diligently at a local pharmacy for some time now, and she excels at the job--although  both of us could stand to see it pay her a little bit better than it does. As I recall, she is due for a raise, and although it is likely to be a relatively small one, every bit of extra helps. At the same time, Ms. 8 continues to grow, displaying new skills that neither her mother nor I recall actually teaching her (although we may have demonstrated them in front of her a time or two--but not as explicit instruction), using new words, and finding new ways to make her presence known and assert her personality. She is generally cheerful and good-natured, but she is also...insistent on many things. Having some more words will be a help to her, I think.

Several members of our families are calling on Sherwood Cottage this weekend. My parents are coming up tomorrow, and my mother-in-law will arrive soon after. Having three of her five grandparents around will also be a help to Ms. 8, I think; she does well to be surrounded by love, and I may well use the fact of so much oversight to my advantage--since I do have more work to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment