Friday, October 30, 2015

20151030.0624

Payday has come again, and the pay received has gone again, and more quickly. Most of the month's bills are paid, though, so Sherwood Cottage will stand yet a bit longer, and it will have in it what it needs to have. This is all to the good, but I know that more bills are coming, and it will be long before the "regular" payday comes again; I am fortunate, therefore, that work continues--or will when I return from the conference trip. Aside from the stacks of grading that will await me when I get back--and there will be stacks, as students are turning in papers today and they have an activity to occupy them while I am away--I expect there will be another freelance piece to do. It should prove interesting to juggle such things--and profitable, I can hope.

The weather around Sherwood Cottage is decidedly autumnal. We have not gotten down to freezing yet, so far as I am aware, but things have been chilly and gray. Today is supposed to offer more of the same: chill and damp. It is good that I like such weather, that I tend to thrive in it. Less good is how it affects the Mrs. Sunshine and clear skies work far better for her than clouds and rain. I suppose it is sensible enough, given our personalities; I have been accused of dampening the spirits of those around me, but she brightens every room in which she smiles. And while that is something of a cliché, those who know her know that it is also reasonably accurate; her joy is infectious, spreading rapidly and easily. It is one of many reasons I account myself lucky to have her in my life.

I had a fairly good time with my more professional website yesterday. I was able to post another sample essay for my students to follow. (Whether they do or not, I cannot control. All I can do is make the material available--and not many other professors I know actually write the essays they assign when they make the assignments.) It has attracted some attention already; evidently, the writing reads well for other people entirely. It is the kind of thing I could stand to see more of, and if I could find a way to more effectively monetize it, I would be happy to do so. Alas, I know no such way, at least not one that has a start-up cost I can afford to pay. There are donation buttons set up on the website--well away from where the students look, which may not be to my advantage in some ways but is likely to be helpful in others--and they may yet help.

Until and unless they do, however, or I can manage to get some other stream of income set up, work will have to continue yet further. How fortunate I am, then, that there is always more that needs doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment