Tuesday, June 25, 2019

20190625.1630

Clearly, I missed my normal time with this post. My buffer is gone, as I think I might have motioned towards a couple of days back. Part of the reason is that I have not had the time over the past days to write that I normally do, having been away. That being as it is, I do need to work to catch myself up; I'm not abandoning the project yet.
I note that several of the previous posts I've made on this date have been notes in verse about the half-year of Christmas; 2015, 2016, and 2017 saw me remark on the holiday being half a year away today. The first of them is the best of them, I think, the poetic form tighter and the references more focused. It also reads to me as angry, though I read it from the perspective of knowing the writer well. (I hesitate to call him an author or a poet. It'd give him ideas he probably ought not to have.) How much is satire and how much is sarcastic anger is an open question; knowing the writer, it's more the latter than the former, especially since events at present suggest no change is coming.
Christmas decorations aren't up quite yet, at least not in stores, at least not that I've seen. Admittedly, I do not go shopping much, and I begrudge the expense when I must do so, unless it's going after food. On that, I'm happy to spend money, certainly. I like to eat, after all. That aside, though, I don't know that I have it in me to be so angry about that kind of thing at the moment. There's a damned lot else and worse to be angry about, though I wonder if it is not in the same vein; I am not sure I seek to understand, for fear of becoming too much like that I would have to study to come to understand. And such things as the incarceration of children without basic sanitation, of people without regard to circumstance or dignity, and who have made only the mistake of trying to make a better life for themselves in such a time as this and in such a way as millions in generations past have done, deserve no understanding.
They deserve censure. They deserve rebuke. They deserve resistance. They deserve to be stopped and the people who perpetuate them and encourage them to be mocked and chastised and forgotten, made as nothing save in the trauma they have already too much done and which we can hope will be healed in time once it ceases to be inflicted. And one wonders what kind of worse will have to happen to make any of it come to pass, because it is clear that no gentle measures will prevail.
It has always been clear that no gentle measures will prevail. Those who would act as they are now who put people into cages and make them in their own minds less than human refuse to understand any but the most blatant arguments--fallacies in the utterance, no less than ad populum or ad hominem, but ads the same. And perhaps they ought to be introduced thereto, repeatedly and with heavy, blunt objects. They seem fond of applying them to others, after all; they can't have too much a problem with them, can they? After all, doesn't Matthew 7:12 apply in ostensibly Christian nations?

No comments:

Post a Comment