Monday, September 15, 2014

20140915.0641

I has happened again that I had a brilliant idea about what to write here while I was in the shower, but have forgotten it in the time between stepping out and sitting down. It is quite vexing to have had the idea, and to remember having had the idea, but not being able to recall the idea...

Matters proceed as they would be expected to go. The pleasant weather of the past few days has seen me working on freelance work--which has included reading for the job just past and the one on which I am working now, and that has seen me on the front porch with the book and a beer ready to hand. I find it a good way to spend an evening and one I have not gotten to enjoy as much as I would prefer. But that is the way of it; the demands of the paycheck are such as they are, and the demands of supplemental pay are such as they are, and it is not always the case that they conduce to working in the most desirable locations. Still, the pay comes as it comes, and I do not complain.

The lure of that pay does remain something of a distraction, however. There is other work that needs me to do it, there are other things that need my attention, and while I am not slacking off by any stretch to be working on work that directly pays, I may be running myself into some difficulties by doing it ahead of work that may not pay directly but leads to other work that does, or that supports it. But the paying work is mercurial; it may not be in place again for a while, and so I need to act upon it when it appears...it is a conundrum. (And, yes, I am aware that the argument can be made that I ought to do it now instead of writing in this webspace. I am also more aware of circumstances now than many who would make the argument. I have considered it and rejected it.)

If I am going to have a conundrum, however, this is a good one to have--not where will I find work to do, but which work will I do to the best effect? Many are not so fortunate, as I well know. I am also in a position in which I more or less like the work I do. (There are parts of the job that could be better, but there always are.) Again, this is something in which I know many are not so fortunate as I am. This does not mean that I will not agitate to make things better, and I resent the implications in the mouths of many who caution me to be thankful for what I have that I ought not to seek more; being content with things breeds indolence and stagnation, and neither of those is something to appreciate. But I am aware that I am doing so from a decent place.

No comments:

Post a Comment