Tuesday, December 28, 2010

20101228.0928

On December 27, 2010, the online New York Times published an editorial, "The White Coast." The editorial compares what is called the "Boxing Day storm" to blizzards in 1978 and 1993, noting that the message sent by all three was "Stay indoors and stay put." Now that the storm is past, the editorial notes, comes the fun of cleaning up, which prompts longing for spring.

Even now, as I look at either my backyard or the street--er, avenue--in front of my apartment, I see mostly sheets of cold whiteness. In my backyard, this is understandable; I've got no great desire to shovel snow, and no great need to do so on that side of the building. In the front, though, it is more of an issue. Traffic is still non-existent on the avenue. The few vehicles that have tried to drive down the block are axle-deep in upchurned snow, frozen and freezing monuments to the majesty of this little Boxing Day blizzard. Train service is still running...strangely...as well, with a number of trains simply not going where they are supposed to.

This, of course, includes the train I usually take. Fortunately, I have other options, but still...I have to go out today. It will prove inconvenient (and cold!), and I find myself annoyed at the prospect.

No comments:

Post a Comment