Thursday, January 8, 2015

20150108.07

I am sitting in a pub attached to my hotel in Vancouver, having just eaten my breakfast there. It is a pleasant experience, one that calls to mind my years-ago trip to the UK. I appteciate it greatly.

I will be spending time at the MLA Convention today, attending some talks and hoping to run into someone who can offer me a job. There are some hours yet before I can do so, though, so I have some time to relax a bit and explore the city a bit more. I have time also to fight with typing on a tablet with my blunt and insensitive fingers. Trying to two-hand it is not working well for me, and one-handed work is slow.

The experience here is one that has been suggested to me as useful practicefor next year, when I intend to once again attend this conference. It will be easier, then, as MLA will meet in Austin, and I have access to support, substantial support, there. I am from the Hill Country, after all, and Austin is at the edge of it. I have family there, and possibly a few friends.

While I am here, though, I will do what I can to improve upon myself. The talks should prove illuminating, and I can get a feeling for what the conference likes; perhaps I can present at it next time. And it might happen that I find someone looking to hire, although I ackmowledge it is not the most likely occurrence. Hope springs eternal, though.

If nothing else, there is a bit of time to rest before the new term begins. I somehow have the idea that I'll need it...

No comments:

Post a Comment