Wednesday, April 15, 2015

20150415.0712

Happy Tax Day to those who live in the United States! Happy Wednesday to the rest!

I have been giving thought to the skill-sets I possess--and I do have some, despite Shaw's oft-repeated (but seldom-cited; I wonder why) adage about those who can and cannot do. Because I teach, in fact, I have some (multitasking, personnel management/leadership, detail-oriented assessment, writing, a number of computer skills). But that does not mean I have as many skills and skill-sets as I should like, and so I have thought about taking additional training. (Go figure that a scholar would look for more schooling as a way to improve. I am vested in the process, obviously, and I know from both sides of the experience that having a guide works well.)

Of particular interest for me are courses in accounting and in graphic design. The reason for the former should be obvious: job prospects. There are many, many positions that ask for expertise in accounting, and I still do not have a continuing-line job. Additionally, if I ever do follow one of the more prominent "American dreams" and start a business of my own, being able to keep my books well is something that will be of benefit. Even within the context of the job I have now, though, having the coursework would help, as it would allow me 1) more, and more relevant, examples to use with a number of students and 2) more information from which to assess the work that those students will submit.

The graphic design coursework would also be of benefit. I write much and often, although not as much or as often as I should like to do. As I teach many of my students, and as is obvious from even the most casual survey of current media, text and image integrate with one another; writing is increasingly an exercise in visual (in the sense of image and design as opposed to text, which is often taken in through the eyes) presentation. It is something I have addressed, if glancingly, before, and so it is something that suggests studying further how to do it well. Also, professional writing increasingly asks for proficiencies with design programs--and while I am good with word-processing software and other office standards, I am not as up on the fancier design programs as I ought to be. Graphic design coursework often runs to training in such programs (if the curricula I have reviewed in doing my freelance work are any indication), and so it makes sense that I would look into taking some to improve my professional prospects. Again, too, even in the current position, the courses would help; I would have more knowledge from which to teach.

Even so, where I would find either the money or the time to do such things, I do not know. I have not much of either that is not already spoken for, and what little remains gets spent in rest or saved. Someday, perhaps, things will slow enough that I can afford to take on the added studies--but that day is not today. Today, I get to watch as others frantically scramble to speak to what they owe for what they get--and I offer my thanks to those who pay their taxes, since I benefit therefrom.

No comments:

Post a Comment