Thursday, April 30, 2015

20150430.0659

Today is payday, and so today is pay-the-bills day. That task is done, at least for the moment, and things are more or less well with it. I still have some money left this time, surprisingly enough, although I know there are more bills coming that will take that money away. Still, the family finances are in a slightly better place than they were at the end of the month last month, which suggests that there is some level of improvement happening, and I cannot argue that it is a bad thing. I would like to have more money in the accounts, though. That would make things a bit better.

I could also stand not to have had the ragged night I had last night. Unfortunately, such was not to be; I had the privilege of waking up repeatedly in the night. Twice, I snapped awake in response to the sound of gunfire--in the early morning. If somebody was fighting off a home invasion, okay, sure, defend the home. I was raised in Texas, after all, and I well understand that kind of thing; I am not at all sure I disagree. That I recognize the necessity and worthiness, however, does not mean I appreciate its iterations when I have to hear them. And, yes, I am aware of how much privilege I am expressing in making such a statement.

I was also awakened several times by Ms. 8 crying out. One of them saw her cry out in her sleep; she quieted as soon as I put a blanket over her. Another, though, between four and four-thirty this morning saw her wake more fully, having wet herself (although not the bed--it did not feel so when I checked). I changed her diaper, because the Mrs. works today and I am at home, but she resisted and worked herself up. I soon took her to another room to wind down, allowing my wife to sleep and getting another hour or so before I finally got up for the day.

Today, I expect to be as busy as ever. I have an assignment to grade in advance of another coming in and preparing for final exams; it should not take long, but it needs doing. I also need to see about picking up a book, one way or another, so that I can have something with which to work for my conference paper. (I know I am cutting it close. It is not a mark in my favor, certainly.) There is doubtlessly work around the house to do, as well, and since the Mrs. will be working outside the house, it is fitting that I tend to the work inside it. And I have the care of Ms. 8 while the Mrs. is at work, as well. I am fortunate, then, that I am able to do so much, even if there is less money than I should like and even if I got less sleep than I probably actually need.

No comments:

Post a Comment