Monday, February 22, 2016

20160222.0612

Work continues again, as it ever seemingly must. I spent most of the day yesterday grading, plowing through three classes' papers. That one class was scanty of submissions helped in that regard, but it was still not the most pleasant way to spend the day. The simple lack of attention to detail on display was not a happy thing to see--and most of the problems in the students' papers bespeak a lack of attention more than anything else. I suppose it is an issue of youth--I am teaching sections of second-semester composition--and the perception that my classes do not matter; I can hope, at least, that the students' in-major coursework receives more attention and thought than mine. This is not because I devalue my classes, as should be obvious, but because the thought of engineers and veterinarians treating structures and animals as I have seen writing assignments get treated is chilling. I have enjoyed the mild winter; I do not need such cold.

Today, I am in the classroom with four sections. Three will be reviewing a new assignment sheet. The fourth will be workshopping a paper that will come in Wednesday; it should be an easy day at my regular and secondary jobs. I have an outside project that requires more attention, as well--not because I screwed up, but because the system used to do it did. I will be paid for the time already spent and the time taken to re-do the work, though; although I am somewhat miffed that I have to re-do work already done, I am being compensated for my time and trouble, so I do not complain of the event. Maybe I will have time to put toward other projects yet, given what I know of how things go with the tasks already facing me; maybe another freelance order will come up, and maybe I will be able to put some time and effort towards other endeavors that need my attention and have not been getting it recently. I can hope so, in any event.

To turn: Ms. 8 had a fine birthday and weekend following. Her grandparents joined us at and around Sherwood Cottage, as did a couple of her cousins. They came to celebrate with us, and we had a good time of it, playing a fair bit and eating well. Leftovers have piled up, which I do not mind; I have less cooking to do in the next few days than might otherwise have been the case, and I am happy to have to do less work to gain the same results. The excitement seems to have prompted more development from Ms. 8; she has more new words now, and she has been playing with her presents interestingly already. She has also been enthusiastic, her face lighting up at being given things; I am filled with hope for her. If I am to help that hope be fulfilled, however, I will have much work to do--and it always seems to come back to that point, that work continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment