Monday, April 8, 2019

20190408.0430

One of the things that LinkedIN permits, and it is not alone in doing so, is publication of articles, usually short pieces, original to the platform. I've got a few out, all dating from 2014 when I was trying to get more things going as a writer; one of them, "A View on Technical Writing," has actually attracted a minor bit of attention. (In retrospect, I likely ought to revisit the piece; it's been a while, and I've had some additional experience since then, both in and out of academe.) I expect that I will need to follow the model of many others on the platform and write such pieces again, though what I would post is not necessarily clear to me.
Trying to do so, trying to figure out what else to write and then sitting down to write it, presents the usual difficulties, of course. I try to address at least some of those through regular practice, such as in this webspace, and I have the notion that I am benefiting from that to some extent. I successfully landed a grant for my primary workplace, for example; I clearly have to be doing some writing rightly. But I continue to feel, as I have noted before in this webspace (and not so much in others, for reasons I think I have made clear), that I am trying to do too many things at once; I do not know that I will benefit from adding an additional task to my day or my week. I do not know that the tasks to which I might put myself will benefit, either, and it would not be helpful for me to put out bad materials in a putatively professional setting.
Then again, looking at some of what gets posted, some of what makes it through traditional gatekeeping to find publication, some of what makes money, I wonder if I ought not to be so concerned about the quality of my work. I wonder if I simply ought to write and post whatever comes to mind there and in more traditional media much as I do here, seeing if it lodges with people in a way that helps me. Sturgeon's Law applies, yet more than 10% of things get rewarded; I suppose there is a market for manure, and I perhaps ought to apply myself to a shovel...

No comments:

Post a Comment