Tuesday, April 16, 2019

20190416.0430

As I have continued to look at LinkedIN, adjusting my own presentation on it slightly as I have looked, I have made sure to write pieces for it, as well. I had expected that I would do so, as I believe I noted earlier, because I do still think of myself as being a writer and a teacher of writing, even if I do not bring in much money with the former and have been working to make the latter less important a part of my life. But I figure that the advertising cannot hurt, and I would be writing in one venue or another in any event, so it makes sense to me that I would post a piece or two to that platform.
Having done so recently, once by following up on a far earlier piece and again by motioning towards similarities I see between my current workplace and others I have seen and seen described, I am keenly aware of the differences between the platforms for the kind of writing I am doing. Here, of course, I can ramble on at length--or briefly, as is more often the case--on topics I decide to treat, and I can do so with relatively little concern for going back over my words, adjusting them for ease of reading or the like. I can trust that those who read here can read well--better than I can write for them, in fact. In other webspaces, I write to audiences I can expect have some college education, perhaps quite a bit of it, and who are likely to be invested in reading as an activity in itself in any event; I do not need to be as worried about exceeding their reading abilities as I might be in other venues.
For LinkedIN, though, I have to be aware that I am addressing audiences that, while they may be educated and intelligent, are likely reading not for their own pleasure, but for ease and speed of comprehension and readiness of use. And that tends to mean that I have to spend more time revising my work than is normal for me, and with different intent. Most of the time, when I revise, I do so with an eye towards greater accuracy and completeness, which does not necessarily mean greater concision or clarity. The last two are more important for the kind of writing it seems to me that LinkedIN rewards, though, and while I am able to revise with them in mind, it is a bit of a different thing.
I appreciate having the opportunity to work to that end, though. It will help me in my work at both the regular job and the teaching job I still have, and that will help me provide; how can I say no?

No comments:

Post a Comment