Wednesday, September 4, 2013

20130904.1100

I recently graded a number of documents my students submitted
(Amazingly enough,
They were on time),
Their resumes
Their testimonies
In brief
Of who they are
What they have done
What they hope to become
And I was impressed with some of them.

Some of them have done much
Of note.
I have Eagle Scouts,
Lab workers,
And long-standing service-persons
Who have been in the world
And of the world
As I have not.

The resumes
Are windows from the ivory tower
In which I reside more fully now than before.
I look out from them,
See green yards, tall trees, and people walking about smiling,
And I confess to come envy of what I see.

Other panes reveal much less to celebrate,
As has been the case for me
Before.

I lean back from the windows
And relax into my comfortable chair,
Scholarly apparatus again in reach
And wonder if others
Look in
With green eyes
At what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment