Monday, September 30, 2013

20130930.0634

With the end of the month has come a paycheck, and that means that the day is already much improved.  I have been worried about money, as could be imagined; the move was draining to the household finances, and with a new member joining the household soon, the budget that was doing decently well for two people will need to be refigured.  My loving wife is looking for work, herself, but I am aware of the relative tightness of the job market--a tightness increased for those who have graduate degrees and are looking for work outside of the regular times.  For she arrived here too late to pick up any adjunct teaching (not that that pays terribly well), and given when our child is due, next semester is not looking good for her, either.

There do seem to be problems for her, and those like her, in finding work outside of academia.  She worries, and my own earlier job hunt has shown me why, that having multiple graduate degrees makes her look...odd...when she seeks more "normal" employment than standing in front of a classroom.  Despite the fact that having graduate degrees bespeaks a degree of focus and loyalty, as well as attention to detail and the ability to process vast amounts of information reliably and accurately, many people do not want to hire the more formally educated.  And it is not an issue of seeking "high-powered" jobs, necessarily.  I was looking for beginning writing and editing positions.  My wife sought--and did not get--receptionist jobs, and has applications filled out for retail work.  Yet callbacks are few, despite the search and the breadth of work sought.

I have been fortunate.  My current position may not be high-powered (or highly paid), but it offers regular hours and benefits (which are coming in quite handy now, I might add).  It is not a continuing line job, but it does offer me a base from which to seek such jobs--and I have, I think, a strong possibility of renewal (I was observed recently, and the observer seems to have been pleased with the way I do things, which will surely help), provide funding remains available.  I do not discount this.  But I am also aware that not all are so lucky in that regard, and it is not from a lack of willingness to work, and it is not from overweening pride and a refusal to take available jobs (for the most part; I cannot fault someone for avoiding certain work in the light of certain medical situations or religious proscriptions).  And if it is the case that the entrepreneurial route is available--what is the rate of failure for new businesses?

There are more applications to fill out, more letters to send out, and more positions to search out.  People are hiring, or they will be soon, and it remains only to find them at the right time.  With luck, one of the blasted things will give us a single, happy word: yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment