Sunday, September 29, 2013

20130929.1939

I have tried to put together a blog post several times today.  Each time, I have found myself stymied by the task--which annoys me, since I so often start my days with a brief note on this blog.  That I would have trouble writing one when fully awake and aware, as opposed to when I am still working to get caffeinated, confuses vexingly.  If anything, it ought to be the other way around.

As I think on it though, I am minded of the implications for my teaching.  I spent a fair bit of time today grading papers instead of being outside and enjoying the wonderful weather that the Stillwater autumn has been offering (and I am happy to have two classes of my four taken care of, for I have yet a fair bit to do before heading to New Orleans for my next conference).  As I read over my students' writing, I was, typically, somewhat...miffed...at some of what I saw in the pieces I was reviewing (I do my students to favor of looking at drafts before the full versions of assignments are done; whether it helps or not, I do not know but I am at least trying to make things better for them).  But now, as I think back over my attempts to put together a brief blog piece today, it occurs to me that the challenges I face in putting together words are likely magnified greatly for my students, who do not have the benefit of my theoretically greater experience and exacting and magnificent training (and I do thank my professors for their time, attention, and indulgence).

I am not able to adjust my evaluations to reflect the revelation, of course.  I had sent my comments back to the students before I started this bit of writing, for one.  For another, I evaluate the work submitted to me rather than the workers; however I may feel about the people, my job is to treat the writing they submit to me, and whatever circumstances lead to its quality, I can only address the quality.  And that has not always been good, certainly not as good as I know most of them can produce.

I can, however, adjust my attitude to reflect the revelation, and that will impact the teaching which will, with luck and the efforts of the students (one cannot lead those who will not follow, and "education" means "leading out"), result in better writing--and better thinking that underlies it.  How I can parlay my experience in having some difficulty putting words in order to help students address their own difficulties in that regard, I have yet to figure out, but I think that I will be able to do so--someday.  I do not think I am there yet; I do not think I am yet that good at the front of the room, although I am continuing to work to improve.  With luck, I will have time to do so, and I can be of some help to my students in the meantime.

Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment