Sunday, October 6, 2013

20131006.1100

I made it back to Stillwater from New Orleans yesterday, and I am sitting in my home once again and with great joy.  The trip to the South Central Modern Language Association conference--the seventieth annual, as it happens--was productive, and I have ideas for special sessions to push forward--one, at least, I will advertise here and in the other venues to which I post.  As expected, I reconnected with some people I have known, and I made other contacts that promise to generate more than passing acquaintance.  It was a good time, and I do feel refreshed.

I also have a few observations to make from the trip:

Thirteen and a half hours on the road if not more tiring than nine, particularly if it includes stops for meals.

Even without large signs that read "Bienvenue à la Louisiane," where the state line is is immediately obvious.

The French Quarter still has good food, and it still has annoying tourists.

The tourists in the French Quarter are much less annoying than those in Times Square.

Comfortable shoes are a must.

Gas station coffee is better in Louisiana.  It just is.

There are always new ideas.

There are always bad ideas.

There are always people willing to spread both.

Some of them are fun to be around.

More of us need to act more in line with the joy in our work--and I will be working on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment