Saturday, October 26, 2013

20131026.1109

Today's reading has not
Yielded
Insight

I have not found
Anything
To spark comment from me
To serve as the generation
Of five hundred words
Or more
Either of meandering ravings
Or of lucid prose
(And I know the former
More likely
Than the latter).

I have not found
Anything
Without me
To spur the delving
Within me
That generates new knowledge,
Or should,
Or is hoped to.

I have not found
Anything
Serving as a way to reject the claims of laziness
That I have heard levied against
Writers,
Readers,
Thinkers,
Whose labors are not evident
And the results of whose labors are not immediately seen as "useful"
For the killing of others,
The reduction of their circumstances,
The enhancement of finances,
Or the filling of their bellies.

I do not reject the filling of bellies;
My own is quite full,
And I am happy for it.

I do not reject the enhancement of finances;
I appreciate the paychecks I receive,
And I confess that I could stand to see them bigger.

I do not reject the reduction of others' circumstances;
Some people have too damned much,
Gained unjustly.

I do not reject the killing of others;
Sometimes,
Some people need to die.

I do reject,
However,
The notion that such concerns
Are the only concerns worth noting.
There is more than
The spilling of blood
The taking of things
The gaining of money
The eating of food
And that "more" is too much neglected.

But that is no new insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment