Tuesday, October 22, 2013

20131022.0755

This is evidently the three hundredth post to this blog.  I did something of a retrospective piece not long ago, so I feel no need to repeat myself here, at least not in that particular fashion.  I have no great plans to unveil in this milestone post, either.  Really, today comes across to me as just another day, one that has a fair bit of work for me to do and not enough time in which to get all of it done--a thoroughly normal state of affairs.

Today's milestone is one in a series of them to come in quick succession.  One note a few posts ago marked my hundredth for the year.  Another couple ahead will see me have the most productive month yet on the blog--and I think I have at least two more in me before the month is up.  But those milestones are of far less importance than the actions which create them; it is far more pertinent that I write, and that I write often, than that I rack up any particular number of pieces of writing--at least in this space.

The same is not true in my contributions to The Work.  At many institutions, there are minimal numbers of pieces to put into print--and not through the self-publishing enabled by the internet, but through the process of peer review, whatever the medium might be.  I am involved in helping others do so through my work with Humanities Directory (and we could use more submissions!), and I do try to get my own work pushed through peer review and into the world (if with less success than I would prefer).  Admittedly, I do not give enough of my time to doing that part of The Work; still, that I have improved in my blogging as much as I have suggests that I can do the same for my researches if I can but wean myself away from the many distractions that are available.

There is one thing that I will do to celebrate reaching a given number of posts, however.  I will cut this one short and go eat a bit of breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment