Saturday, May 17, 2014

20140517.0804

A few random bits, briefly:

The past few days have been wonderfully spring-like at Sherwood Cottage--which is unusual. It should be somewhere between quite warm and actually hot, with stifling air, while it is instead breezy and pleasant. Surely something is terribly, terribly wrong.

Work continues as it ever does. I have a freelance piece lined up, and I mean to take care of it across the day today. I also have a tutorial to offer this afternoon, which ought to be good. And I was able to get some work done on the book chapter, which helped.

Ms. 8 continues to grow and develop. Her legs are getting stronger; she can push herself away from things quite forcefully if she can get purchase. She is also trying quite hard to talk; her lips and tongue move in ways that are funny to watch as she watches other people talk.

She, the Mrs., her mother, and I went to the Fridays Food Trucks and Tunes event in downtown Stillwater, Oklahoma, last night. The event (which is the kind of thing I am generally happy to attend) is in its infancy--the first gathering was yesterday--and was fairly pleasant. I look for it to build as it repeats in the coming months. I certainly hope it does; food festivals are worth having.

My mother-in-law has been visiting for the past couple of weeks; she heads out today. Things have gone well. I have no cause to complain.

My teaching schedule for the fall is in flux. I had been told initially to expect three sections of composition and one of introductory literature. An email arrived yesterday asking if I can teach technical writing. I am capable of doing such things, but I am a literature guy, and I want to keep the literature class. I replied that I am willing to help if I can do so; I have yet to hear back. I wonder what other changes will be coming through...

Personal news runs to the egotistical.

Stillwater is much quieter now than it was a week or two ago. That it is largely a college town is evident; the term has ended, and the local university is not long on summer course offerings, so the students are largely gone. The locals seem to be happy about the event; there is not so much separation of town and gown here as there is in many other places, and the money that college students generate for a town has to be welcome, but I can easily understand not wanting always to have to put up with "them damned kids."

There are several stacks of reading waiting for me to attend to them. I know people who would despair of ever getting the reading done. I am not one of them, but I find that I wish for a day where I can sit and read--and in which I have the will to do so, which is not always the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment