Sunday, July 6, 2014

20140706.1638

I am only now returned to Sherwood Cottage from a trip to the hinterlands of Arkansas to visit with my in-laws. It was a good trip, to be sure, and one of several I have had scheduled for the season (such as next week's Evil Incarnate conference trip). Still, I am glad to be home, as I always am at the end of a trip.

I betray some cultural elitism in my description of the part of Arkansas where I was as "the hinterlands." I am not exactly in a major metropolitan area at Sherwood Cottage, nor is this pace a particularly prominent cultural hub. I suppose, though, that I display my having grown up in Texas and lived in the Best of the Boroughs in such a comment; the former breeds a pride of place that lingers, and the latter promotes arrogance. It is not the only parallel between the two, certainly, and I have every intention of explicating them. But not today.

Today, in what remains of it, I will unpack from the trip and decompress from the hours behind the wheel that seem longer than they used. And I will see about returning to The Work, which I had put off for a bit to attend to the obligations and joys of family.

No comments:

Post a Comment