Tuesday, March 3, 2015

20150303.0729

Sherwood Cottage and its indwellers are returning to the semblance of normalcy they pull over themselves as a veneer to cover up whatever it is that lies underneath. Those here who work are returning to work along their normal schedules--which means that I will be spending the day moving among freelance writing, job applications, and taking care of Ms. 8, while my wonderful wife will work out in the world at a local pharmacy. The weather looks as if it will improve slightly for the day, with temperatures rising well above freezing and rain falling that is very much needed if perhaps annoying to have come down, although that will abruptly reverse itself all too soon; cold and snow are expected tomorrow. Since it is winter yet, it is unsurprising.

On the subject of job applications: I have sent out quite a few this year, whether counted as the calendar year dating back to this time last year, the calendar year dating back to the beginning of this year, or the academic year begun last fall. As nearly as I can tell from a brief survey of my personal files, I am well over 150, and there are still many on my desk waiting for my attention (although one less after last night). But I do not think I will be pushing through more of them once I get the current stack cleared. Applying for jobs takes time, even for me, and I have written so many job letters that the sheer dint of practice has made me quite adept at the task. Other demands press upon my time, including the many papers I have been putting off in favor of applying for jobs while I do the freelance work that helps pay my debts. I need to attend to them, and, in all honesty, the academic hiring cycle is tapering off for a while. (It is, at least, for continuing-line jobs; I have not been seeking temporary positions, admittedly.)

Note that this is not me giving up on the job search. Unless one of the horde of applications packets I have sent out returns a favorable result, and I end up taking a continuing-line job, I will be back on the academic job market soon after the next fall term begins, when postings are fresh and new. And I will occasionally dip my toe into the more mainstream hiring market, as well, since it is possible that my freelancing will begin to show up as worthwhile experience (since teaching writing, which involves a blasted lot of writing, does not show up as experience writing in the eyes of HR programs, for some fool reason). In the meantime, though, there are other kinds of writing that I need to do, other pieces that clamor for my attention and that I have too long neglected, and I really do need to see about getting them done. I will be seeing to them soon, and I nurse the hope that I am not too tardy in doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment