Wednesday, March 4, 2015

20150304.0756

It is once again that band-nerdiest of days, Sousa Day. I have marked the occasion before (here and here), as I do again today. I have not been a bandsman in a decade; I have hardly touched a horn in that time. Still, I am shaped by having had the experiences in the bandhall that I had, for good and for ill, and I am an inveterate punster, so march forth on March 4th with the requisite tune.

It is also a pseudo-snow-day at Sherwood Cottage. The college where I teach has called off classes against incoming inclement weather, a decision doubtlessly intended to help preserve student safety--and I cannot fault that. I cannot help but note, though, that there is not a drop of water on the ground where I am. When, after earlier snow days that saw the streets and sidewalks choked with ice (and such that even I lost my footing while outside), I spoke with others about school closings, I heard comments about the administration being rebuked for closing too early and giving a fine spring day to the students as a gift. I have to wonder if something similar will happen here, as well.

Since today seems to be a day for random notes, yesterday was another day that saw a strange spike in pageviews of this webspace. Some 442 views came in yesterday, a marked and welcome uptick from my normal counts. Since I have not monetized this space, I am not as pleased as I could be, but I decided against the monetization a while ago. I do not exactly have free speech here, since I do not own the webspace, but I am less encumbered here than monetization would allow me to be. And I have other writing that earns me pay, so I am not overly concerned about the potential loss.

About that paid writing: I pushed through a freelance job yesterday, for which I have already been paid in full. Another piece, smaller in scope, awaits my attention even now. I shall work on it presently--and so I have another reason not to complain about the pseudo-snow-day. Too, the Mrs. is getting to put in extra hours at the pharmacy, so there is even more money coming in to help the household meet its obligations. About that, I can complain, because I can complain about anything, but I should not, and so I am not going to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment