Tuesday, March 31, 2015

20150331.0725

Today is payday. As such, it is once again "pay the bills day." That particular task is done, and there is still a little bit of money left, which is good. It is only a little bit, though, which is less good, and there is no real way for me to get more in between now and nearly the end of the month, which is less good yet. (The way freelance money gets to me is a bit odd and has a monthly limit I have already reached--but it resets after the third week of the month.) There is, in theory, money coming in from job interviews, reimbursement for mileage, but that is moving far more slowly, and I dare not count it until I have it in hand and in my accounts...so, yeah, that is how the money is at the moment.

Other things are at the moment better. I have a freelance piece in progress, one with which I am nearly done. It is not the largest project I have had, but I do not turn up my nose at the money it will bring. That I completed yesterday has been accepted and paid for, so when I can again claim my money, a little bit more will be waiting for me. I am also poised to put in for another job or two, as well as to apply for a bit more travel funding so that I can more easily make my way to Kalamazoo (and I *really* ought to get to work on the paper for it; I should have time this week, since grading is minimal--itself a better situation than many others). That the situation is as it is, and not worse than it is (as it has been), is some comfort.

Also of comfort are the continued adventures of Ms. 8. (The Adventures of Ms. 8 seems like it ought to be some kind of series.) Yesterday evening, as she was crawling along, one of her hands slipped and her face made somewhat forceful contact with the floor. As it happened, she bit the inside of her lip, which scared her more than it hurt her, I think, and did not have her mother or me at ease. We got her calmed down soon enough, though, and she returned to her usual laughing and babbling for a while, until it was time to put her to bed for the night. The comfort to be found here is not that she fell or that she was bloodied and afraid, and it is not in the certain knowledge that the day will come when parental love and concern cannot set aside the pain and fear she feels, but that she rebounded from them. It is a small thing, yes, but she is a small person as yet. I have hope that her resilience will scale up as she and her challenges do.

Weather at Sherwood Cottage continues to reflect the season adequately. It was in the mid-50s when I checked last; it should get to the lower 80s today. Were I inclined ever to wear shorts (other than in a gym), I might think about putting them on...

No comments:

Post a Comment