Sunday, January 17, 2016

20160117.0708

I know I slept in this morning
Allowed myself to linger longer
In bed
Than I ought to have done

Lingering is for those who have the luxury
Not to work
And I have not that luxury

I apologize
That I have not the money
To allow me to do such things
Freely
That I have not the time
To allow me to do such things
Freely
That I have not the peace of mind
To allow me to do such things
Freely
That I am among the many
Who must work
Who cannot rely on income from other sources
Who did not happen to have a trust fund
Who do not have investments wisely made
Because long-term planning requires short-term survival
And that is far from assured
With even a narrow margin

I apologize
That I am the person I am
And not someone better than I am
Because I am clearly not enough
Because I clearly have not got enough
And the only valuation that matters
Is preceded by a currency sign
Or followed by the word that sign abbreviates
And that is not something to celebrate
But the opposite

I apologize
That I have not set things up
So that my wife can have furs and pearls
If she wants to have such things
And that I would deign to ask
If she wants to have such things
Instead of telling her that she wants such things
Or having found a wife who already knows
If she wants to have such things
The answer being
Yes

I apologize
Because I am sorry
Obviously

No comments:

Post a Comment