Tuesday, January 26, 2016

20160126.0640

Work continues, of course. A freelance order did come in yesterday, one asking me to read the latest volume in a series I have read for my client before. There is some comfort in returning to a familiar fictional milieu, to a set of characters already known, to a writing style both already encountered and easily negotiated. The reading was quickly done, and the write-up that will proceed from it is begun already. Whether I will be able to finish today or not, I am not certain; another job has asked me to attend a meeting, and that meeting time will necessarily cut into the time spent on the write-up. Even if I do not get the job done, however, I will get a lot of work done on it, so that anything I may have to take care of tomorrow will be easily handled. Or such is the idea I have about things. I hope it is a good one.

Aside from that piece, I have some scholarly reading to do. I was able to update one of my projects yesterday; the update can be found here. I also picked up another book that has a section I might need to include in that project--but I have to do the reading involved before I can make that determination. It will likely be a day or two before I can get on that work; I do need to clear out the paying work before I can turn to the not-paying, and the research work is at this point not paying (although I continue to hope that it will pay off in improved prospects for academic jobs). I enjoy it, though, and there is some chance that others will find it useful; it is the kind of thing I would have liked to have seen when I was doing some of my own research. Accordingly, I hope to keep it going for a while yet, as well as pushing out a few more things that might well appear on it later.

More scholarly writing needs doing, too. I am working on a paper I hope to send to College English at some point; I hope I may be forgiven for withholding details about it. Still, there is a lot of data-crunching that needs to be done; I have pulled quite a few numbers from my source materials, but there is other information I need to note, and doing that will require more detailed investigation than I have yet made. The work should not be difficult in itself, but it does seem as if it will be extraordinarily time-consuming, so it will be a while before it is done--and it is all the more urgent that I get on the task in short order. (I seem to recall saying similar things about the revision of my dissertation into a scholarly monograph. A working copy of it still sits on my desk, gathering dust; maybe I ought to attend to it first.) And other projects likely need attention as well; obviously, work continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment