Thursday, March 17, 2016

20160317.0738

Today is St. Patrick's Day, on which a great many people will celebrate "Irishness" with any number of stereotypes, as well as heavy drinking. I am minded of the "celebrations" in New York City, which does have a history of Irish immigration, and I cannot help but be glad that I am away from it at the moment. I have had more than enough of crowds of drunks vomiting into the streets, having seen it and the New Orleans Mardi Gras both. So while I am making my nod to the "festivities" in my attire, I am not doing much else for the day. I have work to do, after all. (And where this bit is that St. Gertrude, whose feast day it also is, is the patron saint of cats comes from, I am unsure; it seems a recent thing not substantiated by the sources that actually confer sainthood for those who believe in such things. Also, since cats are evil--which I note with two yet in the home--it makes little sense that they would have a heavenly intercessor.)

As noted, work continues. I am still puttering along on my paper for the 2016 International Congress on Medieval Studies, applying a relatively recent critical article to one of the major texts of medieval England to explicate one character's words and deeds more fully. The article is not directed at the medieval text (I'd not have room for a paper were it so), but it seems to apply to the character well enough; I expect the analysis to work reasonably easily once I get really moving on it. My other goals for the break, detailed here, have been met, so I am able to work on the conference paper freely, as well as to push forward on other matters while I am taking a break from the one project (something I do to help myself remain fresh). I also have a bit of tutoring to do this evening, which I welcome as a means to bring in a bit more money; I have received word that other freelance work is slowing for a while, at least, and so other avenues of income are decidedly welcome.

The family is well. The Mrs. was able to successfully pursue her affairs in the state's second city yesterday, and Ms. 8 got to run around and play a fair bit in some new places. Her parents learned a few things from another mother who was at one of those places, and although not all of what was said there is actionable here, it was clear to me that we were in the presence of wisdom; I was glad to be able to hear it and to be included in it. There were many mothers where we were; I was one of only two fathers present, and I was reminded therein that I am in a rare and fortunate position to be able to be as much a part of my daughter's life now as I am. I still worry that I am not handling matters appropriately, of course, but I think that I would worry more if I were not in a position to handle them at all. That work is one I would have continue, and for a long time to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment