Tuesday, March 5, 2019

20190305.0430

It may seem a strange thing, but I find myself thinking once again about going back to school to get another degree. It's a thought I've clearly had before; I already have multiple degrees, after all. But since completing the doctorate, I've toyed from time to time with the thought of going back, increasing my skill-set and my credentialing, and picking up something like an MBA or an MLS--something in a more "practical" area than literary study, something that would increase my employability and my ability to do well those jobs for which I have applied and might apply. (An MBA would help me to do the job I am poised to take soon, among others; I could use the accounting background, for example.)
Such thoughts come, of course, with the usual concerns of what program I would attend, how I would finance my schooling, and how I would incorporate that demand on my time into the extant demands, of which there are several. I would also have to deal with concerns of my lack of background knowledge; while I have worked in a cash office, and I currently handle some bookkeeping (with more to come), I do not have any formal training in accounting, finance, or management. I've reviewed MBA programs before (freelance work has been interesting for me, as well as strangely informative), and I've seen that most require applicants to have completed coursework in, well, business areas, which I've not. So I'd be obliged to go back and complete such courses before formally enrolling in the program--which will add cost and time.
There is another concern for me, although it is ancillary to those I've already noted. When I went into grad school to start with, I did so as a person keeping a journal--although I did not do so with nearly the discipline I ought to have done, which problem continues to beset me. I have a faltering record of who and what I was and how I became what I became, but it is faltering and partial, not the kind of thing that lends itself to forming a cogent narrative. If or when I make the move to enroll in a degree program again, I think I will want to work to do better about noting what I do and how I do it, because I think there might be something of a useful story in an account of going back to school after having done it. Whether or not I would fictionalize it is not yet clear to me, but it is something that seems worth considering.
And maybe, at some point, I will dig out the journals I kept while I was a graduate student before and see if I can actually distill some kind of a memoir or autobiography out of them. I do not know who would be interested in reading such a thing; those who come to mind as likely candidates are more likely to read the journals themselves. But I might get lucky...

No comments:

Post a Comment