Friday, August 9, 2019

20190809.0430

I am sometimes more aware than others of the environments in which I do my writing. For example, I do almost all of the writing in this webspace at one desk or another, either filling idle moments in my workday with putting words on the pixelated page or taking some of the quiet time I get in the morning before others are awake to do so. The writing I do in my more professional webspace, I tend to at my desk at home; what I do for the Tales after Tolkien Society, I also do more at my home desk than at any other place.
There are advantages to each, of course; the work-desk setup is congenial, while the home-desk setup allows me easy access to food and drink. There are also disadvantages; working on other work while at work has clear difficulties--namely work--while working at home admits of many other distractions that are not present at work but nonetheless take attention away from getting words out into the world. Getting the words to come forth is not always an easy thing; yes, they sometimes flow, but they sometimes need pumping to get going, and the pump is sometimes rusted.
When, as now, I have to write on a mobile device to get the writing done, usually because I am away from my home desk and my work-desk is taken up by other concerns, things are...less useful. I am trained to type, and I do so well, but the screens on my phone and my tablet do not admit of typing so well as a full keyboard does. Indeed, I recall having and using a laptop, and I recall struggling with the keyboard when I did so. (Among others, special characters like the ash and thorn, which I use in my work, do not show up so well without a ten-key.) The phone is especially problematic; I have blunt fingers that do not do so well with tiny touch-screens. The problem is mine, of course; I hold no other to account for it. But that it is mine does not mean I do not note it or find it to be a problem.
I will write, of course. I have to, not because of any external compulsion, but because I have to--even if I have to do it on a tiny screen, one letter pecked out at a time. I hope it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment