Monday, February 16, 2015

20150216.0719

The weather around Sherwood Cottage decided to issue a reminder that winter is still the season here; I woke up to find a blanket of white on the ground and the school where I work delaying its start until noon. (This means I still teach two of my three classes today.) I had honestly hoped that a full stop would be in order, but the administration evidently decided that things will be safe enough to permit travel to the school by noon. Whether that will actually be the case, and whether my students will believe it is the case, I do not know. I expect not, though; when even I wanted a snow day, I could hardly be shocked that my students, already reluctant to be in a class that they "don't need" with a professor who "doesn't know what he's doing," would take one. But I may be wrong; it remains to be seen.

In the event, I get a few extra hours to work on my own materials rather than those demanded by the classroom, and I appreciate it. (I do still need to get to the office to do a bit of grading before the classes that do meet today.) Freelance work continues, and having time to read for it helps (although I will note that the book I am reading now is really bad). I imagine that the Mrs. and Ms. 8 (who turns 1 this week) will be happy to have me around a bit longer, too, although they seem to be enjoying sleeping in. (I remain annoyed at having to sleep, although I seem to need to do so more of late. I do not know why; it precedes my head-cold of last week.) I do have a better work setup at Sherwood Cottage than in my current office, although thinking on it reminds me of the setup I had at my previous job (documented in the December 2014 CCC, I might add) and which I miss greatly. Being home, then, allows me to get a bit more done than might otherwise have been the case, although not as much as was true in other places I have been.

The online L5R Winter Court game I am helping administer is winding down at last. I will have a bit more to do after formal play stops, but it will nonetheless be nice to have one less thing to which to attend. I do wish that I had had more presence of mind with it, both in administering it and in using it to further my research--I have gotten a little bit out of it, but not as much as I might have preferred. Such is life, I suppose, and I can hope to archive or otherwise record some of what happened on its boards so that I can make some use of it in the future. Maybe. For while RPG materials come up in a short talk I am giving via video, they have not much informed my research since my undergraduate days. It is another thing I miss.

There are many such things.

No comments:

Post a Comment