Wednesday, September 2, 2015

20150902.0614

It should come as no surprise that I did not get done all of what I wanted to get done yesterday. It is not because I was not busy with things, to be sure; I did get done the grading I had had to bring home (and I hate having to bring grading home), and I did read for my next freelance piece (although there is more of the book that needs reading, and as it is the most recent entry in a series I have not read, there is a bit of a learning curve). I sent out one job application and found I had to discard another couple of postings, as they had either closed or were advertised as something somewhat different than turned out to be requested. (Generalist though I am, I cannot argue effectively that I ought to be professing creative writing.) I also got the (admittedly few) dishes done, but I did not get to laundry; I am fortunate to have had another pair of pants and a shirt waiting for me, although it has been a while since I have worn long sleeves.

Ms. 8 took a bit of a tumble yesterday. She was, I believe, trying to rearrange some of the living room furniture, lost her balance, and clipped her mouth rather sharply on the corner of something. I did not realize just what she had done until after I had spent a few minutes holding her with her head on my shoulder as she cried, not until I went to look at her and talk to her and saw a smear of blood beside her mouth; whatever it was she did bloodied her mouth. No teeth appear to have been damaged, but her lip was split, and it appeared as if she had gouged a fingernail or somesuch into her gum. It hurt me to see it, although far less than for her to endure it, I think. It did not seem to hinder her, though, as she was soon eating and drinking as normal again, making delighted toddler noises most of the way (and throwing a bit of a tantrum when she was not bubbling happily). Even so, I was worried, and I am certain the bruise on her lip will not read well to many who see her.

Today, though, work will continue. I will be in the classroom and in my office today until the Mrs. comes to pick me up so that she can put in a few hours; we need the money. I will see about dealing with some of the laundry that needs doing--which is mostly my work clothes, so I really should be the one to do the work of tending to it. And I will continue to do what I can to keep an eye on Ms. 8 while I see about wrapping up the freelance reading that I need to do so that I can see about doing the writing tomorrow. So, yes, things will be busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment