Wednesday, September 30, 2015

20150930.0625

Today is payday, and so today is pay-my-bills day. I have already done so. Things appear to be in better shape this time than last, however; I think I have more money still unallocated than at this time last month. There are a couple of bills that have yet to come in, to be sure, but I have an idea of how much they will be, and I think I will still be better off. If I can continue to get freelance work in--and I pushed through a job yesterday--then I will be all the more able to do so. So I can hope to get more paying work--in a bit. I would like to get one or two other things cleared before that happens; my scholarship is still waiting for attention, for example. But I am (cautiously) optimistic.

I am sending out charitable contributions today, as well. There are some causes and institutions I support and which have been helpful to me, and I return the favor as I can. I cannot always do so, admittedly, but today, I could. So I did. It feels good--and I have to be wary of that good feeling. Such things are addictive, and I cannot afford to indulge that addiction as well as the many others I maintain. There are costs to the work I do and the hobbies I (seldom, anymore) indulge, and, again, I just paid the month's bills. I know what Sherwood Cottage costs, not just for rent, but for all of the expenses associated with it, and I know the price I am paying now for my youthful extravagances. Did I know then what I know now, I'd like to think I'd have done some few things differently. Many of them have to do with money.

To attend to something else entirely: Some time ago, one of the freelance pieces I wrote was rejected. The client did not like my presentation, and the agency through which I do most of my freelance work agreed with the client's decision (evidently, capricious refusals are overturned). This means that the text was not purchased and that I still retain copyright to it. I wonder if I ought to put it on my more nearly professional website as a writing sample, something that helps me to develop my professional portfolio against the event of moving into a different line of work altogether. Despite the rejection, I think that the writing is good (obviously, else I'd not have sent it in; I have some pride as a professional), and it does decently at showing I have some basic skill in HTML coding (something I need to develop more thoroughly, I know, and to expand to other languages). Then again, it was rejected, and so it may have problems that I do not see--other than simply not suiting the prospective client's ideas of what it ought to be. (The client has since blacklisted me.) Advice and information will, of course, be welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment