Sunday, September 13, 2015

20150913.0753

The familiar refrain returns: Work continues, as it ever must.

I have a freelance piece in progress at the moment; I expect to finish it today, summarizing the remaining thirty-five chapters in some 2,000 to 2,500 words. That I will exceed the word count for which I am paid is certain (in part because the platform though which the writing is submitted counts HTML tags as part of the word count). How much is less so. Still, it will net me a tidy little sum for work that is easy for me to do and more or less enjoyable, so I do not complain. And I think the fact that I give extra value helps me get more orders; my regular client sends me as much work as I can handle at any given time, with the other things I have to do.

Among those other things is a book chapter, which I also have in progress. The text of it is due by the end of October; I anticipate having it completed well before that time. I have been noting its existence in my outgoing job materials (of which I need to produce more, I know; I have been lax over the past few days), and it would not do for me to fail to write it--and to write it well. Progress on it has not been what I would want it to be, in large part because of the other work that has presented itself for me to do (paid work tends to triumph over unpaid, for reasons that should be obvious), but that does not mean it has not been, and I hope to knock out a bit more of it in the next few days.

Aside from those piece, the usual gamut of work to do presents itself. Owing to rain a few days ago, the lawn at Sherwood Cottage needs mowing and trimming; the weather today promises to be conducive to doing so. (I should probably see about firing up my grill again before too long, as well, for although Labor Day has passed and "summer" is over, it is still a good way to cook and something I enjoy doing. I do not do it enough, more's the pity.) There will be a bit to pick up, as well, as the rain was accompanied by winds that knocked a few more things out of trees than had previously fallen. But that should not be a problem.

Other papers and paperwork remain, as well, although I am not so optimistic as to believe that I will be able to attend to them today. There are only so many hours to spend in work each day, and I wasted more of them in sleep than I would have liked today already (there are reasons I like to wake early, and today, I slept late). But that does not mean they do not need to be done, and so, the refrain again: Work continues, as it ever must.

No comments:

Post a Comment