Wednesday, December 16, 2015

20151216.0824

Today was another day of having slept in, much to my ongoing annoyance. I suppose I have needed the rest, but I also need to work, since there is more work to do. I have a freelance piece waiting for my attention, and while I have started the reading for it, I have only started the reading, plowing through maybe a quarter of the text thus far. I should be able to get the work done reasonably easily, but it will only happen if I sit down to do it--and I can only do that if I am awake. Sleeping in works against me, therefore, even if I am on something resembling a break, and even if I am still seeming to recover, a cough yet lingering with me.

Yesterday evening saw a bit of a date night for the Mrs. and me. We left Ms. 8 with a babysitter for a few hours; she seemed to have enjoyed herself, getting to play with a puppy, among others. Her mother and I went out for a nicer meal than we usually get--Ms. 8 does not always do well at restaurants, whether because of her...enthusiasm for the food or her agitation at sitting still for as long as she has to at a restaurant. We then went for a couple's facial. I had never had such a treatment before, and I was curious about doing so after an earlier instance of the Mrs. getting one. I was glad to indulge that curiosity yesterday evening.

The weather around Sherwood Cottage continues to show up as autumnal despite the approaching winter solstice (in the Northern Hemisphere, of course; I know the Southern operates inversely). Temperatures have ranged just into the range of freezing and up to the upper 50s and lower 60s F (around 15C). The sky has been largely clear, letting the sunlight down--although the sunlight is pale and wan, what with the angle of incidence. Sunset comes early, and if it is pretty to watch, it is also somewhat disconcerting to have full dark by half past six. I find that I long for fireplaces and mugs of cider, even if I am not truly so chilled as to receive their full benefit.

However matters may be in the air around Sherwood Cottage, within it, work continues. Freelancing still needs doing, as I have noted, since expenses continue in any event--and the bills must be paid. The Mrs. still has her things to do, offering tutorials and putting time in at the pharmacy. Ms. 8 continues to laugh and play and grow and throw tantrums when she is told "No"--which happens often, both because she tries to do things she should not and because she asks questions to which the negative answer is the correct one. And I, having slept overly long, have missed out on some of the time in which I could attend to any of them. It is not something that pleases me; I must do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment