Tuesday, May 12, 2015

20150512.0920

I am, at least for a brief bit, back at Sherwood Cottage. Tomorrow, I head up to the 50th International Congress on Medieval Studies, where I will be presenting a paper and presiding over two sessions, as well as attending at least one dinner and a number of other events. Yesterday, I got back from a whirlwind trip to the Texas Hill Country, where my wife and daughter and I attended what amounted to being a wake for my late grandmother. (I have not made much of a secret of my offline identity in this webspace, I think.) Today, I will be taking care of a few final things to be able to go forth and do what I need to do in Kalamazoo: printing, laundry, and the like.

As such, it will be another week before I settle into the summer routine I expect to have. The Mrs. will be working nearly full time if not actually full time or more, and I will have the day-to-day care of Ms. 8 while I try to keep up with freelancing (once it starts back up) or other research writing. It should be a productive summer for the household in the main, although we do plan on a trip or two during the months between now and the resumption of classes in August. Some weddings are scheduled, and more family could stand to see us now and again.

Another thing: The weather in the region where Sherwood Cottage stands has been severe in the past few days, and many have suffered and are suffering as a result. Donations to relief efforts would not be out of line. They will not find their way to Sherwood Cottage, however; the city where it stands and where we live has once again avoided the worst of the matter. There was rain here, certainly, and some wind, but not so much of either as in other places. (And it was good to see the Red River look a river again, as well as the Cimarron.) All is well here, and I pray it will continue to be so.

One more note: While I am away, I will have some internet access, although not as freely as I have while I am at home. Given the demands of the conference, though, I am more likely to focus my attention on Travels in Genre and Medievalism than on this webspace. So it may be a bit before regular updates resume here...

No comments:

Post a Comment