Friday, May 29, 2015

20150529.0813

Payday has now come again.
My poverty has found no end,
For bill collectors, no one's friend,
Have with the payday come again.

Money flows like water, free
To trickle from my hands and flee
Into a stream and to a sea
Wholly owned, but not by me.

Another payday will soon come
Because I labor long. No bum
Am I to work not for the sum
That I expect from my work done,

But I'll not have the money long.
It is a child to the song
The Hamlin piper, blowing strong,
Has ever played. It still draws on.

The piper must be paid, of course.
Refusal will be met with force
And rhetoric that soon grows coarse,
Words that have no single source

But spring from voices all around
Until the world shakes from the sound,
Ringing from the air and ground.
There is no respite to be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment