Saturday, June 13, 2015

20150613.0755

Company is coming to Sherwood Cottage today; my folks will be up from the Hill Country. Because some part of creation is a smartass, I am also dealing with allergies or a head cold (I am unsure which), as is the Mrs. Ms. 8 seems to be clear of it at the moment, save for a bit of a plugged nose; I am grateful for it, as she does not respond well to being de-snotted in any way, shape, or form. I understand it, of course, as I am not fond of having my nose wiped for me or my nostrils aspirated. (Yes, I know about neti pots. No, I do not use them. Feels too much like drowning, and I've been closer to drowning more often than I care to recall.) That I understand, however, does not make dealing with it easier.

Weather about the place continues to be interesting. Rain has been moving in again, which remains good; despite the seeming monsoon of not too long ago, the rivers are receding, which tells me we still need more water in the area. The current storms are coming erratically, however, with sudden downpours of limited area that do not last long. One fell on the grocery store to which the Mrs., Ms. 8, and I went yesterday evening. Rain fell intensely for five or so minutes and tapered off for the next fifteen. None fell on Sherwood Cottage, however--at least at that point. Ours hit during the night, if the states of the driveway and the road onto which it opens are any indication. I am glad I mowed the yard recently; it will make doing so when next I must easier, I hope.

Freelance work continues, which I appreciate (not least for the paycheck). I am amid the write-up of Gabaldon's Voyager, although I am not making as much progress on it as I should like. The state of my head makes it more difficult to do, the congestion in the physical being mirrored in the mental. I have several more days to get the project done, though, so I am not terribly worried. Ms. 8 will sleep, and I can do some work while she does. Also, my parents are coming up; with them here, I need not worry so much about each individual moment with Ms. 8. Having more eyes to observe her makes a difference, and having those eyes be part of people who understand that work must be done makes the difference a helpful one. They will certainly appreciate the time with her.

About the write-ups: It may seem a bit odd that I am working over a novel that is more than twenty years old at this point, particularly since most of the write-ups I do are of novels only recently released. (Indeed, the last several orders have been issued on books released the same day as the order issue.) Some of the older-piece orders are for books only recently optioned into or about to be released as movies, so that the writing is newly popular. Others back-fill series still in progress, with the new releases receiving attention and the older releases receiving treatment for the sake of completeness. They all pay the same, so I am happy to do them--although I would be happier to have a clearer head, indeed...

No comments:

Post a Comment