Monday, June 8, 2015

20150608.0712

The weather around Sherwood Cottage continues to be warm, ranging into hot (which really only begins at 90 F or 32 or so C), the air humid but not releasing the rain that had previously been forecast. (There is still rain in the forecast, but not for today, not so far as I have seen.) I remain mystified by how humid it is here, actually, given how far Sherwood Cottage stands from the sea. A state or more lies between it and the shore, so how the air remains so heavy with moisture eludes me. (One idea does present itself, something I have noted before, and if the moisture in the air is unreleased, one has to wonder what is the cause of the heavens' blue.)

Against that weather, I have done a few things around the house. One of the blinds we had on our windows broke and fell away; I finally got it replaced. The delay was caused in part by my laziness, admittedly, but only in part. Most of the leases in the town seem to end at the end of May and beginning of June, so that people in frantic pursuit of getting their deposits returned do an awful lot of home repair leading up to it. This often means they need new blinds, and the windows in Sherwood Cottage are evidently of the most common size that needs new blinds. It is hard to replace something when no replacement part is available, after all. But, as I noted, I finally got the job done.

I also hung and re-hung curtains. Sherwood Cottage is cooled by window units, a common situation here. The living room and each of the two bedrooms have their own. (The "and" makes the subject plural despite the "each," O, grammar Nazis!) Those in the bedrooms are aided by having curtains hung in the doorways, effectively isolating the air in each from that of the rest of the house. Both have such curtains, now; we had previously only had them up in the doorway to Ms. 8's room. Too, the curtain rods in her room and in the living room had been badly bent, not least because necessary hardware was missing. Those rods have been replaced, the correct hardware installed; sagging should not be so much a problem for them anymore. Other sagging is a different matter altogether.

Today will see me return to the dentist once again. Looking back at my comments about a previous visit, I realize that I have let slip something I ought not to have done. I can hope it will not be too much of a problem, although I am the wrong kind of doctor to actually know whether it will be or not. Then again, finding out is part of why I go to other doctors; they have knowledge and expertise I lack. I could wish, though, that others would seek mine similarly...

No comments:

Post a Comment