Saturday, June 27, 2015

20150627.0651

The freelance piece on which I was working yesterday is done, submitted, and accepted. Another quickly succeeded it; I am reading the new Mary Higgins Clark novel. It shows up for me as a scant 260 pages, so it should be a quick read, indeed, and a concomitantly quick write-up. It will not pay quite as well as the last one, admittedly, but it will still pay decently enough, and I can still very much use the money, even if it is not so much money as I might prefer to have coming in. (I could also wish for ways to deploy the reading done for the freelance work into reading done for my scholarly work or my regular job. I suppose I should take better notes as I read, thinking along those lines.)

The rain that had been called for yesterday did not fall as planned, at least not at Sherwood Cottage. It is a mixed blessing; the rain is needed, but its lack pushes back just a little bit more when I must next mow the yard. Then again, yardwork would be good for me to do; I can use the physical activity, as I have attested before. There is still other work to do though, and it is not the kind of thing that I can do while I am pushing a lawnmower or running a trimmer. (It is kind of fun to run the trimmer, though. When I next attend to the lawn at Sherwood Cottage, I will need to trim and edge. It has been long, indeed, since I attempted the latter. I am badly out of practice. It is not the only thing in which I am.)

The big news from yesterday is, of course, the ruling by the Supreme Court of the United States of America that same-sex marriage is legal. Many people are offended by the ruling, including some members of the Court and a number of persons I know from living where I have lived and do live, and from being akin to them. I seem to recall a number of them saying that those who do not like the country--because they disagree with its laws or with the presence in office of those elected or appointed to it--can leave it. (I seem to recall a number of others, not known to me personally but only through their public declarations, who have said that they would divorce their spouses or kill themselves if marriage equality became the law of the land.) I am expected to adhere to my word, once given, and I do not make nearly so much of my faith as I have heard them make of theirs. I do not think it too much to expect that people will either follow through with what they say they will do or live in shame at being proven liars or cowards. But I am admittedly not a nice man, and I have said before that I am a hypocrite...

No comments:

Post a Comment