Thursday, June 18, 2015

20150618.0747

I suppose I ought to comment on events in Charleston, that as a member of the blogosphere I am expected to do so because it is how things are done. And they are lamentable. But I am not there; I have only heard of the events through a few news outlets; I have not followed up on the event. I do not know enough to speak with authority on the matter, and so, aside from affirming that the events are lamentable, what is there for me to say? What can I say or do that will matter? Who will benefit from my looking on, aghast and perversely intrigued (because I am, and I am not the only one)? I cannot think there are many answers, and certainly not many satisfying ones, and I think the same will be true for many others who would write about the matter from removal similar to mine. It is something I have said before, and in this webspace, although I seem not to be able to find again where or when I did so.

(I might note that my wife asserts that while there may not be much she or I could say about the event that would be of use, there are things we can do about the climate that enables such events, at least in the place where we are. I am fortunate to have so wise a woman with me.)

Although it always seems an oddity when horrible things happen, life goes on elsewhere. Here, at Sherwood Cottage, the weather continues to be wet. What is left of Bill is influencing the area substantially, although the remnants seem poised to move on before too long. Hot days are expected to follow, which will make for a climate familiar to me from life in Cajun Country and in The City (which people forget is a port town and thus likely to be humid--and because it is so much concrete, steel, and glass, as well as machines and millions of people, it is hot and smelly), although I could long for the quality and diversity of food that accompanies the climate in those places. Some boudin would not be amiss, nor would a tasty bagel with some lox. I would not like them at the same time, however. I do not think a boudin bagel would work so well. I could be wrong; I am willing to try.

New freelance work has presented itself, which pleases me. I get to spend today at work reading a new novel, and the next couple of days will see me do the usual write-up. It is a shorter text, so the write-up will be relatively short, only some five thousand words. Still, the payout will be pleasing enough, and it is good to ease back into work after taking a while away from it. I can hope that more will follow after the current job is done; I continue to be able to use the money each new piece of work represents.

No comments:

Post a Comment