Wednesday, July 8, 2015

20150708.0723

We had rain at Sherwood Cottage yesterday, a heavy sprinkle that fell throughout the day. It was exactly the kind of rain we needed to have and that we will need more of in the days to come. What I have seen of forecasts for today's weather calls for relatively cool and humid conditions, which might result in more rain, but probably will not. That the yard got mowed recently is fortunate, therefore, as it will be easier to do next time than it would be had it not been mowed. There is something of the untamed prairie still in the soil here, and the rain seems to call to it; the grass grows swiftly and thick, aided by rain interspersed with the strong sunlight of summer. If only other plants that we want to have grow would do so, things would be more to my liking.

Work continues, of course. I read a novel yesterday for my freelance work, Elin Hildebrand's The Rumor, finding it enjoyable enough, although marked by occasional awkwardness of phrasing. The write-up will begin today--soon after I wrap up writing in this webspace, in fact. How much gets done today will depend on the usual factors: my endurance and the cooperation of Ms. 8. But I have a bit of play in the deadline for the freelance job, so I am not worried about getting done on time. My desire to get paid for the job is a more pressing concern, in fact. The money has been a useful addition to the household finances, and, as I believe I have noted before, the work is not difficult. It simply eats much time, which has its own problems.

Work will continue in earnest beginning in a couple of weeks. I have been hired to teach a section of English for the Oklahoma State University College of Engineering, Architecture, and Technology's Summer Bridge Program. It is a three-week course meant to help prepare incoming students to face the rigors of college curricula (laughable as that phrase may sound to some who laud "the good old days," far from good as they were), and I am not ashamed to say that it will be a lucrative experience for me. It will oblige me to spend four hours each week in the classroom, as well as preparation time for those four hours and grading time as a result of them. The Mrs. will maintain as much of her work schedule as she can as I do so, and Ms. 8 will still need the care she needs. (She is healthy and thriving. She is also approaching nineteen months in the waking world, which comes with increasing activity and thus an increasing need for attention. I am happy to offer it and to be part of her life as I am; not many fathers are so fortunate as I am.) Somehow, I will still be working on freelance work and other projects--and those will have to include setting up for the fall term, which I reach soon after helping students cross the Bridge. But I should be used to having much to do by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment