Friday, July 24, 2015

20150724.0725

I have not got much to say about the shooting in Lafayette, Louisiana, yesterday. So far as I know, the folks about whom I care who are still in and around Lafayette are well, so my most pressing concern in the matter is addressed. (I did my graduate work in Lafayette, so I do know some folks there.) I doubt I am in a position to be able to help the families of those dead and injured, due both to distance and to my own current situation. I am not in a position in which I am affected by what has happened, so other than to express my sympathies for the families (which I acknowledge are not terribly helpful for them) and relief that those for whom I care are well, I ought not to say much about the shooting itself. (It is a policy I have held for a while.) I might have more to say about some who discuss the event, however. That, though, will be for another time--if I can pay attention to what they say and how they say it. I may well not; I have other concerns.

Work in and for the classroom continues. As noted, I wrapped up the first of three weeks of instruction for the summer bridge program yesterday. So far, the students seem to be largely engaged and attentive, which is good to see. Many appear to be taking seriously the comments I leave them on the assignments they submit, which is also good; if I am going to take the time to put several hundred words of advice and correction on a paper that is itself only a few hundred words long (and, yes, I think one or two students got more words from me than they gave to me), then I would like to think that those words are being read. I am being paid for the time and effort, of course, but I would be paid even if I left few or no comments (although I note that students only notice when few comments are left; they complain of little feedback even as they neglect abundant feedback). That I do more than I am obliged to by the terms of my contract is something I should like to see more broadly appreciated--and the summer bridge students, at least some of them, are giving it me.

I have not had another freelance order come in, which causes me some concern; I can use the money. But I can also use the free time that not having such orders affords. That time has allowed me to be swift in my grading (something for which several students have thanked me), and it has allowed me to be more attentive to Ms. 8 while the Mrs. has been at work. She has the day off today, though, and since I still have no freelance order with which to busy myself, I will take the opportunity to do more journal reading (I am still far behind), as well, perhaps, as a bit of writing on one of the many other projects I (always) have going. Perhaps I will be able to sell one or more of them.

I did say I need the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment