Tuesday, July 28, 2015

20150728.0654

When I opened up the program I use to write this blog, I found the following notice waiting for me:
European Union laws require you to give European Union visitors information about cookies used on your blog. In many cases, these laws also require you to obtain consent.

As a courtesy, we have added a notice on your blog to explain Google's use of certain Blogger and Google cookies, including use of Google Analytics and AdSense cookies.

You are responsible for confirming this notice actually works for your blog, and that it displays. If you employ other cookies, for example by adding third party features, this notice may not work for you. Learn more about this notice and your responsibilities.
(I apologize for the odd spacing. Formatting is a bit wonky in this program.)

I am a respecter of laws, generally; while I acknowledge that many laws are unjust, I tend to adhere to traffic regulations and local ordinances as part of my contribution to a social system from which I benefit. (I am fully aware that I benefit in no small part because I occupy a position of privilege within that system, as I identify and am identified as an Anglo-Saxon-ancestried cisgendered heterosexual male Protestant of the middle class. Not all are positioned to similarly benefit, I know.) I am a state employee, after all, and I paid for my extensive formal education through a series of grants and loans, many of which originated in the federal government. It behooves me to be observant of law in principle--even if I may oppose some specific laws in practice.

Moreover, I am a big believer in fair warning. I do, for example, think bars ought to be able to allow smoking in them if they decide to--but they should have to post at the entrance, conspicuously, that the establishment is a smoking one. (Restaurants, to which children are taken without their consent, are a different matter entirely.) I am Texan enough to accept the validity of the "Trespassers will be shot" sign and the enforcement thereof. Annoying as it may be, I approve of the message that "This call may be monitored." And I tell my students far in advance what I want from them and how they will be assessed.

But I am not under the jurisdiction of the European Union at this point in my life, and I found myself somewhat annoyed at being obliged to comply with laws of lands that are not mine. I imagine that many will feel similarly. On reflection, though, I remembered that this platform is not mine; it is lent to be, but it is not owned by me. The owner has the right to establish rules for the use of what is owned, and, because I am adherent to laws and recognize the justice of "my house, my rules," I find that I have no problem with the policy--the more so because the work of it is done for me. That ought to be a help.

No comments:

Post a Comment