Wednesday, July 22, 2015

20150722.0649

I recall waking from a dream several times this morning. I recall that it was the same dream each time. I recall thinking that I wanted to report the content of said dream, that it would make an excellent blog post today. I do not recall the dream itself, though, not anymore, and it annoys me substantially. I doubt I will recall it, at this point; I have been too active already, reading and doing a small bit of writing already. (I have said I am a morning person, notably here. I may have had some trouble earlier, but that trouble seems to have passed or to be passing; I am back on something like a regular schedule, and I benefit from it greatly.) The tasks of the day push aside the musings of the night, the conscious mind overwhelming the machinations of the subconscious even as it is buoyed and supported by them. The hole in the ice is closed, but the scar of its former presence remains, marring the view.

The work of teaching the summer bridge program continues. I will have to pick up the first homework assignment today; it was due at the end of the calendar day yesterday. The paperwork situation is a bit complicated, unfortunately, due to the nature of the program; there is only one place where students can submit homework, and a more useful system (such as I use in teaching my regular classes--which I need to work more on setting up) would have multiple such sites, one for each major assignment. I will navigate it, however. There is no other real option, and the work of the grading will not be so hard as it might otherwise be (although I maintain that grading is the worst part of teaching, even as it seems to occupy most of the actual time spent on the job).

I am somewhat oddly fortunate, then, that freelance work is slow at the moment. I usually enjoy the freelancing, and I always enjoy the money that comes in from it, but it takes up a fair chunk of time. In the past few months, attending to it has effectively prevented me fro making much progress on a number of other projects; my work on The Work has ground to a halt or very near to one. I cast no blame for this, of course; I have not done what I can do to manage my time more effectively than I do. I have allowed myself more indolence than I deserve or that getting done all of what I want to get done will bear. But that I acknowledge my own failing as the cause of the trouble does not mean I am not annoyed at it--and I should not be expected to be pleased. We allow many to complain of the just and appropriate consequences of their actions, after all.

Still, and always, there is more to be done. It is time for me to attend to at least some of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment