Friday, April 22, 2016

20160422.0611

That there are deaths in the news is not a surprise. People die daily, after all, and there are many people. Some of the names that are currently in the news are perhaps surprising, although my thought on the matter is that the surprise comes that some of the deaths come only now. The kinds of lives associated with performers, whose deaths are occasioning outpourings of grief (appropriately enough), tend to vitiate against longevity, after all. I do not celebrate the deaths, of course, and I do not deride those who mourn them--but I am largely untouched by them. ("Largely" is due to the inundation of my media feeds with commentary about the deaths. It seems it cannot be escaped.)

I have been preoccupied with other things. The Mrs. had eye surgery yesterday--minor, as far as such things go, but messing with the eyes is not so "minor" a thing. I have been working to attend to her, and it has been...interesting. I have to wonder if this is the kind of thing that she does for me each day; if it is, I am ashamed that I have not been more grateful to her for it. But my reactions are for another time; the important thing is that she is proceeding more or less as expected. We have some other family--my wife's father and stepmother--in at Sherwood Cottage, helping out for the weekend, which makes things easier, and the Mrs. has a follow-up appointment today, as well as others to come. Things seem to be okay for her at the moment; I hope they will continue to be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment