Thursday, January 10, 2019

20190110.0430

I am running again into the issue of finding it challenging to find things about which to write in this webspace. Given the orientation of my other webspace and my desire not to duplicate work, I am not working on even casually scholarly projects here, things like my Skyward Sword bit (that gets used as a sample in my classes) or one of the occasional pieces I've written on L5R. I still dabble in that work in other places, of course, but much less frequently than I used to do--and not at all here, since this webspace does not speak to the same purposes as the others I have maintained have and do. As I've noted before (though where does not emerge so easily for me as I might like), this webspace is for more personal reflection and occasional artistic endeavors than the other. It seems a bit off to have my more scholarly musings here.
The reverse is also true, I find. There have been times I've tried to post more "artistic" work in the other webspace, whether things that tried to become serial novels or snippets of verse meant to laud other authors through sincerely flattering imitation. They have not gone as well as might have been hoped, and not as well as similar efforts in this webspace have gone. My limerick sequence may not have been ideal, but it did attract some favorable attention, by report; the hymns against the stupid god got a lot more consideration. So I have to think that it is not a matter of skill so much as how that skill interacts in my own mind with the specific online locations of writing. (And I know I've been on that topic before, considering my lone CCC publication back in the days when I thought I might actually be a full-time academic, as well as pieces on my office spaces [here, here, here, here, here, here, and here].) That is, something about the different platforms prompts different responses from me in them, and trying to work against those prompts goes less well than might otherwise be the case.
I am not sure why. There's not much of a difference in the physical locations where I access the different online locations; I write in both while seated in the same chairs, working at the same keyboards. Sometimes, I even attend to them on the same days. So, if the circumstances are largely the same, I have to wonder why it is that I can write decently (I know "well" is a stretch) in one form in one venue but not another, while doing decently in the other form in another venue but not the one. I do not know that finding an answer will do me any good, because I do not think that having an answer will make a difference in how I act. I'll still write what I write, where I write it, and I hope I will stumble further into proficiency as I do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment