Tuesday, January 15, 2019

20190115.0430

I've noted that I have a number of areas in my life wherein I might improve. Several upon which I focus in this webspace concern my writing, which seems appropriate enough. This is a construction of written words, even if the medium seems to demand more than merely words. And perhaps that is something in which I might make some more adjustments to effect; perhaps I ought to integrate into this webspace, as I tend to in others where I work, visual and other multimedia elements. Perhaps the Skyward Sword piece that pops up again and again in my work could involve images of the characters I discuss; indeed, some of its past readers have made such comments, and they have not been wrong to do so. Perhaps other essays that I've written in this webspace would benefit from similarly illustrative images, or embedded video links, or songs. And perhaps I ought to write more of the pseudo-formal essays that I have in the past, posting them here.
Perhaps. But likely not, for reasons I have discussed. I mean to keep this space open more for musings and more creative work than for more formal discourse. (And I am recharging, as it were, for a return to more creative work. I think I may resume the hymns against the stupid god next month, since I'll have had a chance to calm down and get some things going.) Because I do the kind of writing I do here, or try to do so, I work more with words than with their interactions with other arts--worthy as they are or may be. I have not the skills to make much else in the way of art; terrible as my pen-hand is, my drawing hand is worse, and while I do decently enough on my horn (on which I need to practice more, but I ever have had that need), the parts I play are generally not the sort that admit of playing alone for an audience.
As such, I will not likely be including visuals, as such, in my entries into this webspace, or not often doing so, and other media are less likely to occur. But that does not mean I have no care with how the words I would write will look upon the page. I have been working to enforce a fairly consistent paratext on what I write, making sure that like things look alike; not only the words, but the situation of the words, means that they go together in specific ways. I do not do much fancy with them; the coding involved does not always work well in the present platform. Sizing up and color-coding capitals at the beginnings of entries and paragraphs is the extent of it, anymore. I used to do more, but I think it was a mistake to do so. It made the entries busier than was warranted. The present practice suffices, I think, and, if it does not, I'm sure I'll stumble onto something that does, in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment